The most expensive player in every IPL auction
Fans are waiting eagerly for IPL 2022 mega auction because they want to see their favourite players to join their favourite teams. IPL’s auction has a very deep history as we have seen some of the breath-taking picks in terms of money. Before looking at mega auctions let’s take a look at some history of previous auctions. So here are the most expensive players in every IPL auction.
Most Expensive Players in every IPL auction
- 2008 – It was MS Dhoni who was the most expensive player of the 2008 IPL auction. He was picked by Chennai Super Kings for 1.5 million dollars.
- 2009 – In 2009 two players got the same amount as the most expensive one. They were Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff of England who were picked by Royal Challengers Bangalore and Chennai Super Kings respectively for 1.55 million dollars.
- 2010 – Kieron Pollard to Mumbai Indians and Shane Bond to Kolkata Knight Riders were the two most expensive players of 2010 auctions. They both got 0.75 million dollars.
- 2011 – Kolkata Knight Riders played a huge gamble on Gautam Gambhir when they picked him for 2.4 million dollars which were the highest at that time.
- 2012 – Indian all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja was the most expensive player of the 2012 IPL auction when he was picked by Chennai Super Kings for 2 million dollars.
- 2013 – Australian power-hitter Glenn Maxwell was the most expensive player of 2013 when Mumbai Indians spends 1 million dollars on him in the auction.
- 2014 – It was Yuvraj Singh who was the most expensive player of the 2014 IPL auction. He was picked by Royal Challengers Bangalore for 14 crore rupees.
- 2015 – It was again Yuvraj Singh who got picked for 16 crore rupees which were highest till 2021 by Delhi Daredevils in the 2015 auction.
- 2016 – Royal Challengers Bangalore spend 9.5 crore rupees on Shane Watson in the IPL 2016 auction which made him the most expensive player of that year.
- 2017 – English all-rounder Ben Stokes was the most expensive player of the 2017 IPL auction when the newly came team Rising Pune supergiants picked him from the auction. For 14.5 crore rupees.
- 2018 – for one more time it was Ben Stokes who made the headlines when he became the most expensive player for the two consecutive years. Rajasthan Royals bought him for 12.5 crore rupees.
- 2019 – Jaydev Unadkat to Rajasthan Royals and Varun Chakraborty to Kings eleven Punjab were the two most expensive players in the 2019 auction they both were sold for 8.4 crore rupees.
- 2020 – Australian right-arm fast bowler Pat Cummins was picked by Kolkata Knight Riders for 15.5 crore rupees in the 2020 IPL auction.
- 2021 – 2021 was a historic year as Chris Morris was bought by Rajasthan Royals for 16.25 crore rupees which broke Yuvraj Singh’s record of most expensive player in IPL auction.
- 2022 – Ishan Kishan was picked up by Mumbai Indians for ₹15.25 crore, highest for any player so far.